endeavors

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I'm sick. Nothing big--just another cold. Slight fever. Didn't really sleep last night due to the fever. I'm dog-sitting for a friend, and since I was sick, I couldn't take the dog out on the hour walk I've been doing the past couple of days. So, I thought I would strap on my roller blades. That way I wouldn't have to expend much energy and the dog would get tired quickly. Well, there were several things flawed with my plan.

First and foremost, I haven't put my blades on in well over 2 years. In fact, I can't actually remember the last time they were on. Secondly, I wasn't really that great in the first place. On top of that, the last time I roller bladed, I was in much better shape. Oh, and I should mention my apartment complex has wicked speed bumps.

So, I walk the dog down the two flights of stairs and sit to put the blades on. There's a short sidewalk with an incline to the parking lot. I immediately fall down that incline and scrape the skin off my left forearm, do something horrendous to my rib (probably pulled an intercostal muscle), and smashed the crap out of my left butt cheek. If I was a bruiser, it would be bad. Well, instead of being smart and going immediately back upstairs to trade out for a pair of gym shoes, I decide to push forward. Because I am an idiot.

We go around the parking lot one time. It goes well. There's a bit of a hill, but the way the speed bumps are placed, I'm able to maneuver around them. Then we head out of the complex for Baxter to poop. Success! We come back in so I can throw it away, and I decide we should stick with the lot instead of going out on the main road. Here's where the horrible idea kicks in. I thought I would try going the opposite way, this time. Unfortunately, the hill on this side is steeper (we were going up it the last time, which wasn't bad). I'm going really fast and can't slow down and am trying to figure out what the hell to do with the speed bump that is fast approaching. Speed bump wins. I fall again. Harder. This time my knee twists the opposite way of my foot. This worries me because I have terrible knees. I scrape even more of my left forearm skin off. I land on my left butt cheek again. I do more damage to my rib situation.

It is at this point that I decide to stop being stupid, so I limp/crawl over to the sidewalk and take of my skates. Poor Baxter is not ready to go in, but I'm 90% sure I've now managed to fracture my rib. I get mail and hobble inside. My knee isn't as bad as I was first worried. It's the rib that's the problem. I'll probably give it a day or two. If it's still hurting, I'll go to an urgent care. I was already bummed that I was sick so close to Christmas. My gift to myself was to pile injuries on top of that!

Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home