endeavors

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hug Attack!


There's a guy in my complex who has a dog. He's a nice enough guy. I first met him a few months ago and we chatted for a bit at the mailboxes. He invited me over to have dinner sometime with his girlfriend. I never went. I've seen him a few times since them--no big deal. He knows I do improv and I've mentioned that my only friends in Austin are improvisers. He says I should come out with him sometime and he'll introduce me to other people.

The last time I saw him was a little creepy. Previously we'd been around the complex; not directly in front of my building. This time I had my dog and I ran into him with his. We chatted for a bit, but I really have nothing to say to this dude. As I'm walking up my stairs, he says, "You're looking good." Like it was a throw away line. GROSS! It was totally creepy. We'd sort of already said goodbye and I was walking away and too much time had passed for him to say something. Anyway, that kind of freaked me out. Especially since he watched me walk into my apartment.

Yesterday I ran into him again. Again, polite chatter, but I needed to get moving. He comes at me and I think we're gonna shake hands or something, BUT HE HUGS ME! I do the polite pat on the back and scoot away as fast as possible. I was totally unprepared for that hug. What do I do now??! We've hugged goodbye once. Now he's going to expect that. How do you turn down a second hug? Now I'm paranoid whenever I take the dog out. Ohdeargod I hope I don't see this guy at night.

OK, so this it not a rhetorical question. What do I do the next time I see him if he goes in again for the hug? How do you say to someone, "I'm sure you're very nice but I don't know you that well and don't feel comfortable hugging you."? I mean, there's no way for this not to be weird. If I don't say anything, I'll get hug attacked. If I *do* say something, it will be super awkward. Man, I cannot remember a time I was hugged against my will.

Maybe he is cyberstalking me and reads this. If so: PLEASE DO NOT HUG ME. IT MAKES ME UNCOMFORTABLE.

5 Comments:

  • i wouldn't worry so much about the hug because i think the next step is an open-mouth kiss.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 19, 2010 9:07 PM  

  • I READ THIS!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 19, 2010 11:06 PM  

  • That's what they call profiling. Profiling is your natural internal protection kicking in. Obey your instincts. It could save your life someday. Do not allow this creep to get close enough to 'hug' you. Guys aren't after hugs. This is one thing you must understand. Guys want much more than 'hugs'. Don't enable this weirdo. To do what he did was disrespectful to you. Again, keep your distance so he can't try to 'grab' you again. Do you carry pepper spray? Buy some.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 20, 2010 9:04 AM  

  • screw pepper spray. It's texas. Carry a gun

    By Blogger Unknown, At May 20, 2010 11:48 AM  

  • Guns are good if you know how to use one. Pepper spray is effective, cheap and easy-to-use. Some lady's would rather carry pepper spray than walk around with a rod.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At May 20, 2010 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment



<< Home