endeavors

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I was supposed to meet my parents for dinner last night. They've been in town since Thursday, and I don't get to see them much. I couldn't take any time off work b/c I spent most of last week sick. I have a new phone and was trying to figure out how to program it myself, couldn't, so I thought I'd drop in the Verizon store on my way to meet them for dinner.

I ended up staying at work 15 minutes longer than expected. I just should have skipped the store, but I didn't. I mean, all I wanted to do was ask a simple question: how can I do this myself? I enter the store and am greeted by a man who has no answers but puts my name in the queue. Two people are ahead of me. I decide to wait 5 minutes. But what if the people ahead of me have simple things and are done? So I wait 5 more. And 5 more. At this point, there is no way I can make dinner on time. They picked a place halfway between me and N&B, which means they've already left the house. After another 5, I sort of rudely interrupt a sales person. He was helping someone, then went behind the counter to program the phone. I stepped up and just asked my question. He informed me that instructions would have come with the phone in the box. So I didn't need to be in the store. That's all I needed. That's a simple answer. No reason to wait 20 minutes for that.

I call my folks hoping they are stuck in traffic. No such luck. In fact, they are early. And there's no wait. So by the time I would have made it, they would be done. They picked that restaurant so I wouldn't have to drive all the way out to NW Peoria during rush hour. I am fuming mad. At myself. I never get to see them and the next time will probably be Saturday night for dinner before they leave. And there are some things I really want to talk to them about. But it's hard. It's not really a phone conversation item. I want to talk about my trip to NC. I want to talk to my mom about Nana. But when you see your folks twice a year, you don't exactly want to bring up stuff that might end in a fight. You want to enjoy the time you have together.

I hate having words unspoken. I'm just going to have to suck it up. Hopefully we can meet Thursday night. This is something I wanted to talk to them about when they were out here in December. And I still haven't. Plus, it's hard with N&B around. I don't want them to get stuck in the middle of my family stuff. Even though they're family, too. Argh!! This sucks.

Wish me luck.

********************

In related news, my new phone works like a charm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home