endeavors

Sunday, January 01, 2006

(Brief) Movie Review: Bewitched

Going into it, I thought this was going to be a remake of the television show. It wasn't, which was refreshing. I loved Will Ferrell in Elf because he brought this youthful naivete to the role. That purity was in Bewitched; however, there were also times when I felt he was channeling Jim Carey. It was forgivable. Nicole Kidman is quickly solidifying herself as one of my favorite actresses. In Moulin Rouge, the scene in the elephant where she's rolling around on the ground was balls to the walls. She looked ridiculous, but didn't care. Most actresses that I've observed wouldn't be willing to make themselves look like a fool. They would try, but then get embarrassed, and the performance would be fake. But she was 100% committed to Satine, and it showed. Same thing in Bewitched. She really has a talent for comedies, which I guess I find surprising.

The movie is fun. It's not life changing or mind blowing, but it was cute. The performances were great. The effects weren't overwhelming--which they could have been, seeing as this is a movie about a witch. They were used sparingly, and with intent. And (again) I really liked that it wasn't a remake of the TV show. I would definitely watch it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home