endeavors

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

The only think I like about being sick is the crazy dreams. You know, when you can't really sleap 'cause you can't breathe, but you're really tired. So you have Twilight Zone dreams. Last night's dream wasn't so great. Paul went out with the boys and got high on coke, so I had to move out. But the one before that was fun. I was the understudy for Christine in Phantom of the Opera, but no one told me. The dream starts with me singing one of her solos as the opening number. I'm on this boat that's on some sort of track around the stage. The audience is loving it, and they don't realize I'm the understudy. Because this is one of my favorite musicals, I happen to know this song. Then, the boat goes under the stage down this roller-coaster track under the audience and around the theatre into the backstage area. It's such a rush. So I get back there to change to my next costume, and everyone realizes I'm not the real Christine. In fact, I had never rehearsed with the cast before. Which, is not a problem for me. I don't care. But everyone else is really upset. The director was a friend of mine from college, Aaron Swisher. Except in my dream he's older, thinner, and less gay. He tells me to go out there for the next scene. It's at that point that I realize, I don't know any of her dialogue. I only know the songs from the CD. Everyone freaks out. I keep saying, "See, we should have rehearsed. It's not my fault this is so unprepared." Then they shove me onstage while I'm still putting my wig on. One of the characters named Emily has died. There is no Emily in Phantom. She's from Dracula. My dream is mixing stories. Anyway, it's my line, and I don't know it. Everyone looks at me. The audience becomes restless. I'm trying to signal to the cast to help me, but they're all pissed I'm there. One of the girls hisses, "It's your line!" "I don't know any lines, I only know songs. And I'm not even that great of a singer." I try to get her to feed me the lines, but she's stubborn and refuses. For some reason, I found that hysterical. Like, even though I look like an idiot, it's not my show and I wasn't supposed to be the understudy, so I didn't really care.

I went to work today. No more fever. And I have disk 2 & 3 of Alias Season One, which I will be watching tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home