endeavors

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

If only people knew the inner turmoil of posting on facebook. I recently friended someone who is about to be my improv student. But I don't really know him yet. He just posted something about letting go, which made me immediately think of this. And I wanted to post it in a comment. But then I was like, are we to the commenting portion of our friendship? Also, people sometimes post super personal things on facebook. What if he's talking about his parent dying and I'm all, "Frou Frou is so good!" Would it seem that I'm making light of the situation? We are not close friends and I don't know his life. I am awesome at making people feel uncomfortable. This is not a good thing. I'm trying to chill out about stuff like that. So, instead, I delete my comment and write a blog post about it.

But it's still incredibly interesting to think about the times in which we live. I am adopted. I am FB friends with my birth father and one of his brothers. I've met this brother once and that was 16 years ago. In February I posted the following from textsfromlastnight:

(617): I spent part of my valentines extracting candy hearts from a woman's vagina. The entire time I was thinking "this job pays for my Mercedes. This job pays for my Mercedes. This job pays for my Mercedes."

In my day job, I process insurance claims. I often will post hilarious accidents. (don't worry HIPAA, i'm not using any identifiable information or breaking the law in any way) For instance, I made an incredibly witty post about a kid falling and hitting his head on a toilet, and then likening that to the flux capacitor being invented. I know. I am hysterical. Anyway, if you don't know me very well (or AT ALL) you might not know what my job is. On the other side of that, if I don't know YOU very well (or AT ALL), I won't be able to tell if and when you are joking-slash-being serious. This gentleman made a super long comment that made it seem like he thought I was the one saying those words. Basically, I should be thankful that I have a job that affords me a Mercedes and that I get to be around vaginas all day. But the thing is, I couldn't tell if he was kidding or if he thought I was kidding. Because I don't know this man, nor do I know his sense of humor. I clarified my comment stating I was merely quoting a post on a website. To which he responded with words that technically made a sentence, but made absolutely no sense. To this day, that remains the one and only interaction I have had with him since 1996.

I promise I have a point, and it's this: We are living in a world where a whole new set of etiquette rules are being determined and established. I never would've interacted with him had we not been facebook friends. But social media connects people in a completely new way. It has changed how we view celebrities. I will be so bold as to say reality television would not be NEARLY as popular as it currently is without social media. Because knowing what Kanye's poops look like makes him more of a person than an untouchable. No one knew a thing about Frank Sinatra's daily life. (sidenote: HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN??!) People had to wait for magazines and newspapers to be printed. Now we have youtube. Where you can get drunk and shoot a video for your friend, and then all of the sudden you have your own channel and you're being flown to London to post videos about the Olympics. Not to sound like I'm 80 (but I do) it's crazy how immediate everything is. Instant gratification. And so people post pictures of their food for hundreds of others to see. Thus, reality television.

All of this to say, I really enjoy Frou Frou.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home