endeavors

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake


OK, I'm a little shaken right now. The adrenaline is still pumping through my heart. I was working and my monitors started to shake. At first I thougth it's the neighbors outside b/c when all of the kids run up and down the stairs, sometimes it shakes me up in my room. But then there was this deep sound--no way to explain it b/c I'd never heard it before--and I realized that was the sound the earth was making. Dogs are still going crazy.

I tried to remember all of my childhood drills. Get in a doorway. So I move to the one in my room. But then I remembered I needed to be as low as possible--like in a basement. So I head downstairs. This makes no sense to me. If the apartment comes crashing down, I will be crushed, so I go back upstairs. Then it hits me: that was for a tornado, not an earthquake. I never had earthquake drills in OH. By this point it's over, thank God. According to zha it was a 5.8.

This is my third earthquake since living out here, and definitely the biggest. I think the scariest thing about an earthquake is that you don't know how long it will last. Will there be aftershocks? How big does it have to be to do damage? Lots of questions. My first thoughts were, I don't have renters insurance and if my monitors break I'm going to have to pay for them. So, I sort of wanted to stay up and hold them to make sure they wouldn't knock hard against each other or topple over. Then I realized how pissed my parents would be if I died trying to save the life of my monitors.

It doesn't matter, though. It was a short rumble and it's all over now. I can hear sirens from fire trucks. I hope no one's hurt. Faith's at the park right now. I wonder if they felt it? Man, how scary would that be to be riding a roller coaster during an earthquake?!! I like action and thrills, but that might give me a heart attack.

Back to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home