endeavors

Thursday, April 20, 2006

The 5th Annual Phoenix Improv Festival

I remember Brandey handing me her cell last year.

"What's this for?"
"We're all ordering tickets for the festival."
"What festival?"
"Improv. Just get tickets."

So I bought the weekend pass. I didn't even know there were workshops. I remember that was the first time I spoke to Bill Binder.

"Hey, Bill, it's Ashley. I need to get tickets." I remember feeling a little weird because I realized I was speaking to him as though we were old friends, when, in fact, I just thought he was a box office guy, and we had never spoken before that moment. I had no idea this was his baby. That I was talking to the Great and Powerful Oz. And now, a year later, we are old friends.

I remember sitting in the audience last year, watching the L4 people in a show, wanting so badly to be up there the next year. And now, a year later, I'm with The Remainders, and we go on tonight at 9:15.

But what fills me with awe the most, is the fact that this year I'm a part of it. I've been going to the meetings since last September. A few weeks ago I helped put the entertainment packets together. I'm Cog's Den Mom. Yesterday Bill, Jacque and I loaded our cars up with the snacks we're selling and the booze for the parties, and took it over to the Viad. I got to stand on the stage before the set went up.

Last night at the Paper Heart, I was just so excited. To be there. To be with my friends. To see this amazing thing that we've been planning for months finally kick off. To just freaking be alive. There are so many people in this world who aren't doing what they want. They're too afraid to follow their dreams. Or too pessimistic. Or too lazy. Or WHATEVER! But they aren't doing what their hearts are begging them to do. I am. And there is absolutely no way to explain that feeling.

I am so proud of the incredible hours everyone put in for this. The time and the dedication of all involved. And I'm humbled by the experience. I hardly did anything, but I got to watch this entity grow and develop.

Day Two begins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home