endeavors

Sunday, November 20, 2005

It's official: I need to never plan anything ever again

I have always been a planner. When I was in high school I would write out my week to the minute. From allowing 5 minutes in the morning to lay in bed stretching, to my 7 minute oral routine before I went to sleep. Every second of my life was planned. It would drive Paul crazy. "Don't ask me what I'm doing until 5 minutes before". That was his motto. The past few years I've been trying to let go of my need for control. Mainly because when I would stray from my schedule, I would get really discouraged. This morning was a perfect example of why I need to change.

Yesterday I decided to make a schedule for the first time in I-can't-remember-when. I spent the night on N&B's couch so I could take my folks to the airport in the morning. It went like this:

8-10:15 = get ready, have breakfast/spend time with family, load car
10:15-11 = drive to church, show folks campus, drop parents at airport
11-5:15 = go to Target to pay bill, get oil changed, work out, put laundry away, Home Depot for sandpaper & paint, grocery for muffin ingredients (taking to work Wednesday)
5:15-7 = PIF meeting
7-8 = meet w/ Michelle
8-10 = ken's show

Now, imagine this typed and printed. Each time I'm done with a segment, it gets checked off.

Well, everything was going well until we said our goodbyes and I backed out of the driveway. As I put the car in 1st from reverse, it made a noise I am quickly becoming familiar with. The back driver's side tire was completely flat. This time it didn't take an hour to change b/c my uncle has a hydraulic jack and power tools. Not one, not two, but three giant nails had made their home in my rubber. And Discount Tire is close Sundays, so I can't get it fixed until tomorrow after work. Luckily, I know where one is from my last excursion. Because of all this hoop-la, my folks were unable to see my church. Hopefully if they come for Cubs spring training like they do every year, we can all go to a service. So I drive from Glendale to the airport back to my place (to drop off leftovers that needed to be refrigerated), then to Target, then to Jiffy Lube for the oil change. It was there that the hot oil change guy informed me I shouldn't drive on the highways with a spare. Well, I had already been on the 17, 10, and 202. My poor donut. I decide to wait until I have a good tire on my car before I drive all over for the paint and sandpaper.

But I can laugh at it all. I mean, the day I decide to plan stuff out is the day that stuff goes wrong. So, I've learned my lesson. Nothing goes as planned, and stop planning things. Right now I'm saving every penny I have and working a ton of overtime and doing outside JesterZ shows to save for my move to LA. But, who knows? Maybe something will happen between now and then and I'll use all that money for a down payment on a house. Or ny car will die and I can pay cash for a new one.

Ah, the times I think I'm in control, I'm really not. How sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home