endeavors

Monday, April 08, 2002

I just finished watching Pollock, which was kind of hard. My mom borrowed it from the library, so I had to watch it tonight if I wanted to see it. And I kind of didn't. zha had seen it, and, if I remember correctly, liked it. I, however, was not in a movie-watching mood. I stopped it a couple of times and flipped channels, then Tosh called. After we got off the phone, I hit play again. See, I'm the type of person who, once a film is begun, must finish it. Unless making out is involved, but that's a whole other category. So I watched the rest of the movie. And I'm glad. It was well directed. Slow at some points. Excruciatingly so, however, necessary. That's how his life was. Incredibly painful. There was a lot of silence. And a very good ending. That made up for the parts I fast forwarded through. What an ending. Very abrupt. And it made me think. I see a lot of myself in Lee, and a lot of zha in Pollock. And it was good to watch a film about a struggling artist. I've been kind of down on myself because I really haven't pursued the whole dealer thing. I mean, I own my own business, but I'm not doing anything about it. I have taken steps, but nothing is moving fast enough for me. I need everything right now. Fast. So, even though it took Pollock years to sell anything, in my world, that's unacceptable. So this movie sort of helped me get a grip on reality.

Another reality check came this weekend. Tosha and I went to this thing in Columbus. And I was so disappointed that I'm not linking anything to the site. It was a "movie/music/model expo", with speakers in the industry. It was from 12-8, so I wanted to leave by 10:30 to make sure we had plenty of time to get there. It was at the Columbus Convention Center, but nowhere could I find directions. I wanted to scream. There was no info on the website, I couldn't find it on mapquest.com. Nothing. So I finally called information and they gave me the street name--but NO NUMBER! (You can't tell, but I was punching the keyboard on that last one) Frustrated? Yes. I knew how to get to High Street, so I figured we could just ask for directions there. Luckily there were signs. On the website, there was also an itinerary. All of the music stuff was in the early afternoon, and the movie stuff was later. So it didn't bother me that we left an hour later than intended and we ate lunch before parking. OK. Columbus. If you've never been, you're really not missing anything. I forgot how much I hated Columbus until we got there. The only good thing about it was there were 49 signs pointing us in the direction of the Convention Center. Back in high school, I had nothing else to do for spring break, so Heather, Emily, Andrea, and I decided to go there for a few days. We thought we could shop and go to a club and generally have a good time. No, not so much. See, nothing is ever open in Columbus. No place to eat, no clubs. Nothing. And Tosha noted that as we were looking for a place to eat. Luckily Wendy's does not succumb to the black hole of the city, and I was able to enjoy a single with cheese, no tomato. P.S. It also snowed during that spring break trip. Well, Tosh and I walk in to this huge room and there are a lot of tables set up with reps from different places. All but two were Columbus-based. I do not want a year contract with someone who can't transfer to Cali. It was pointless. We found one good agent and one good headshot guy. Which, actually, made the trip worth it. Plus I got to spend the whole day with my girlfriend. We leave for a bit to have dinner, and found a cool place--the market. A huge warehouse full of different foods. You buy stuff downstairs, then go upstairs to eat. We're there for almost two hours, but this being Columbus, the market closed at 5:30 and we had to leave. What is the deal?!? We both are tired (she had a late night booty-call, I'm just a loser and had been out with a friend the night before) and aren't really learning anything, so we leave. But not before we witnessed perhaps the most pathetic runway show ever. Not that the clothes were bad, but the girls, well, you just had to see it. This one black girl completely kicked ass, and there was another chick who had 8-mile legs, but no one else had personality. There were two dancers (and by that I mean they danced (poorly and with no rhythm) to the music when it wasn't their turn to be in the spotlight, which is a HUGE run-way no-no) who really shouldn't have been allowed to leave the house. But what can you do? So we made fun of them then drove home. We picked up some Girl Scout Thin Mint Edy's Ice Cream and watched The Osbournes. After I made her watch my dorky boyfriend on Conan. It turned into quite a nice day. In all honesty, I had a ball in Crappy Columbus with my lady and even more fun eating the ice cream.

Things you should have learned:
1) Don't go to Columbus if you are looking for fun.
2) You don't have to be pretty/coordinated/talented/a human to be a run-way model
3) Late night booty calls are fine, as long as you give yourself enough time in the morning to get ready for the day's events.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home