endeavors

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Crappity Crap CRAP!


Well, my Nikon D40x is not what I thought it would be. I was oh-so-excited to get it. Today, instead of working like I need to be, I was trying to figure out why it wasn't auto focusing. I have an AF Nikkor lens, which fits my 35mm SLR and works just fine. I can manual focus, no big deal. But the AF aspect wasn't working. I read the manual.

I. read. the. manual.

Yes, I thought it needed it's own paragraph. And to be repeated. I *never* read the manual. But, I also didn't want to call Nikon if this was something that was in the troubleshooting section. I tried everything I could. Then I called. First of all, they answered right away. Hooray to Nikon for that. Their customer service was wonderful.

Here's the deal: The D40 and D40x do not have an AF option in camera. You have to purchase a separate lens. Seeing as the reason I went with a Nikon digital SLR in the first place is because I already have two lenses (a 28-80 and 70-300), which is half the cost of a camera purchase, anyway. I was originally looking at the D80, but I didn't want to spend that much. However, this is the last camera purchase I intend to make for the rest of my life. I may as well spend the big bucks. Besides, this will me my Christmas and birthday present to myself. And Valentine's Day. And Easter and Earth Day and Flag Day and...

Ugh. So right now, my credit card has the full charge of the D40x and the D80. Not a big deal, since I'll eventually be getting a refund of $580 and January is a 3 paycheck month. It's just that the D80 is $200 more than I was planning on spending. And for a tightwad like me, that's painful. Until I get the D80, I'm going to hold onto the D40x. I still want to shoot Chris tomorrow night. And it'll be nice to have for NYE and the parade in Pasadena the next day.

Still, I'm disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home