endeavors

Monday, July 24, 2006

Small World Syndrome

When I was in the 3rd grade, my parents sent me to Camp Emmanuel. It was a camp with hearing impaired kids. I learned how to sign a little, but never kept up with it, although it always interested me. There was a boy, Ryan Smith, who I had a crush on. He was a year older than me and I'm pretty sure didn't know I existed. I never did anything about it, but occasionally wondered whatever happened to him as I was growing up.

When I was in college, I was friends with Brian L (I'm not even going to attempt to spell his last name), who was a Latin major. He was the bassist for the Spoo Monkeys. I went to a couple of their shows, and ended up becoming friends with the other two members, Phil and Ryan. Ryan and I started hanging out more often. At one point, I went over to his house (he was living @ home) to watch a movie. We watched in his brother's room b/c that had a working dvd player. Ryan turned off the CC option.

"Why was the CC on?"
"My brother is deaf."
"Wait a minute. Ryan Smith?! Did you go to Camp Emmanuel in the 4th grade?"
"Yeah, how the hell did you know that?"
"Because I went there and had the biggest crush on you! And now we are making out. 14 years later. Can you believe it?!"

(interestingly enough, I lost interest after that)

***

This weekend at our show in Casa Grande, we were randomly talking about Tommy Cannon graduating from Ironwood high school 1996. I have no idea how that conversation came up. Anyway, Ironwood happens to be where my cousin, Eric, and his best friends Joe and Sarah went. And graduated from in '96. So I asked Tommy if he knew them. You betcha. In fact, he was in drama w/ Joe for 4 years.

***

I am very picky about my myspace friends. Other than bands I like and "Pam", I physically know all but 3 people. At PIF I was discussing this fact with a new friend I had just added. I specifically mentioned Scott Allen Curry. I don't remember how I found him on myspace, but he had this great gothic pic of Harry, Hermione, and Ron, so I added him as a friend and we sent maybe two emails back and forth. But it had been months and months since we corresponded, and I had all but forgotten about him. Then, not two hours after that conversation, I'm in the VIAD and look outside. Scott Allen Curry is standing there with a troupe from SLC! Later than night, he's putting lip gloss on. He had torn off the wrapping, but I instantly recognized the Bonne Belle tube. I was too far away to smell anything, but I figured I'd take a gander.

"Is that VaVaVanilla?" Of course it was.

***

Very small world, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home