endeavors

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Today is the best of all days. In the morning I walked in to work with an ex-sup of mine. We talked about the JesterZ and I mentioned my parents were coming to town at the end of this month. I didn't want that show to be my first out of pity. I wanted to earn my spot and have Dave feel confident in my abilities. Well, two hours later I got an email letting me know that Thursday will be my first show. Woohoo! Then I come home and in the mail is a letter from Bob Garvin. He is perhaps the coolest, craziest old man I know. He's a friend of Tosha's, and she brought him to all of the theater stuff in college (that's how we met). He's kept in touch with me over the years, sending letters now and again. It's so great to hear from him! I will now publish exerpts of my favorite parts from this letter with comments from me. P.S. He types it on a typewriter. Not a computer. So there are lots of pen-corrections. I will include the corrections, but if there is a typo that remains, I'm writing that verbatum. Oh, and before I get started, the envelope was addressed to "Mademoiselle Ashley Nugent"

"...all the Nugents arein my payers (tho I dont know how much influence a permanently lapsed Catholic would have in the upper regions but what the hell we can always hope)"
***I like how he talked about prayers (or "payers") and then said "what the hell" in the same breath.

"...it slips my mind at the moment. zms Natasha had gone from one play to another..."
***I have yet to figure out what "zms" means. The next sentence is a completely new thought, so it's not like "zms" was a connecting word or anything.

"Just ignore this rambling, I was up entirely too late last night --maybe if Id had a couple of snorts it would have been better."
***I'm sorry, but did he just refer to doing coke!?! Holy crap, Bob, you're 70!

***Comment before his writing. This is my favorite part of the entire two page single spaced typed letter.
"...They would have done it this month but were totally taken up with some effing teen beauty pageant, _"
***He literally typed "effing", plus I like his random underscore.

"If you are doing to be in thearea for gods sake let Natasha know..."
***Maybe that's only funny to me, because I can hear Bob saying "for gods sake" while holding a cig and a scotch.

***He signed in pen and wrote a P.S.
"Please excuse the typos! No correction tape!"

I loves me some Bob G.

Then I check my email and I have a message from my friend, Libby, who I used to work with at the camera store! Every time I hear a Rob Zombie song I think of her. And wonder what her hair looks like. I also wonder if Tape Dog still exists.

Then I checked the IMDB, and they had a great quote from Boy George about how he hates "Queer Eye":
"My life is about much more than what my cushions are like or what theatre show I should go to. It's really poncey. I just think that they should leave straight people alone, they look fine."
***I like "poncey" and "they look fine".

So today was the best day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home