endeavors

Wednesday, June 18, 2003

OK, a few hours ago I wrote this long post, but Blogger has been sucking lately, and it erased it. So, I'm going to try again--but this time save my work. If anyone has any suggestions of another host, please let me know.

Cooking. I have this great new kitchen and I love to cook. And seeing as this is DAY 17, NO EMPLOYMENT, I have a ton of free time. Been cooking things I've never made before. Which is turning out to be quite an adventure. Ask my vacuum. Tonight was my mom's banana nut bread. It started out pretty good. I checked the recipe every five seconds to make sure I was doing everything by the book. And everything was fine until the nuts. I bought a new nut chopper today, and used it. It comes with a handy cover so you can chop the nuts, then put the chopper over your bowl and take off the cover, and dump the nuts into the mixture. Oh, and by the way, "chopped nuts" does not mean "dust". My chopper works very well, in case you're wondering. Except for the little fact that I sort of filled it too full, and the nuts got stuck in the blades. I'm holding the chopper over my head looking up into it, and am gently (read: violently) tapping the side to get the pecans out, when the lid comes off. Now, most of the pecans landed on the counter. And since I'm not cooking for anyone important (no offense, baby) I just brushed the remains into the batter. It's at this point that I realize I don't have enough time to bake it. We're going to see a movie. So I put plastic wrap over the bowl to keep the batter fresh until we get back and I can put it in the oven and be up until one in the morning waiting for it to finish. But I digress. The plastic wrap. It actually, doesn't stick to anything but itself. Which is where tin foil comes in. My refrigerator housed a bowl of banana dust batter with two pieces of plastic wrap secured by foil for three hours. And now it's almost 1, and I've checked the bread twice to see if it's ready. It looks ready, but goop still comes off when I Toothpick Test. Oh, and is a teaspoon of cinnamon too much? The recipe just says, add it for flavor if you want. I added nutmeg, too. I guess we'll see tomorrow morning. Which is when I will clean up the rest of the mess.

Wednesday's dinner: Meat loaf. Hopefully that won't be as much of a disaster. Hopefully I will remember to thaw the meat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home