endeavors

Friday, June 06, 2003

I'm posting on blogger and everything is different. So, what's been going on? Well, let me tell ya. The U-haul thing got straightened out, and we were able to leave on Thursday morning around 10. Now, fyi, it is not fun to drive a honda towing 8.2 tons of your stuff across the country, and especially up hills. My original intention was to photo-document the whole thing. But it's not so easy to drive a stick shift going 70 mph whilst holding a digital camera and trying to stay on the road. Paul and I had walkie-talkies, and every once in a while I'd swerve and he'd call, and I'd tell him I was just taking pictures and he said stop. So I did. Everything was so beautiful, but looked the same, so I didn't feel the need to photograph the whole ordeal.

OK. The first day was fine, no major events. We stopped at Wendy's for our first meal and called our folks. It was very windy at Wendy's. We had mapped out where we wanted to stop, and made it to Missouri right on schedule. We stayed at an expensive Best Western, and decided to have a price cap the next time. There were five other hotels where we could have stayed that night, but we were too tired and lazy to pay less.

The second night. This is the best part of the whole trip. We were going strong in Texas and were close to NM, so we thought, let's keep going until the next town. Little did we know that in this part of the country, it is two hours til the next town. The first motel sign we saw, we pulled over. Into the town of San Jon (pronounced San Hon). Population 304. It's the place you go if you want to commit a murder and get away with it. And this is the motel you stay at. It was $24--inclucing tax. The next town was 30 minutes away, and we had driven much longer than expected that day. So we stayed. We called our folks from the payphone outside--there was no phone in the room. Also, if you sat on the toilet, you could put your chin on the sink quite comfortably. There were plastic sheets on the bed, and a shower so small that if you put your hands on your waist, your elbows would touch the sides. Needless to say, we didn't sleep very well that night. We had to drive that 30 minutes the next morning to get food. I don't know where these 304 people eat, but it was definitely not near this hotel.

We decided to go to Flagstaff to stay the third night, then on to Glendale to pick up my aunt and uncle who were going to help us move in. But by the time we got out of the traffic jam in Flagstaff, Paul radioed me and said, let's just keep going. Plus, that night would be free and there would be no scorpions or plastic sheets. And the shower is very clean. So that's what we did. We moved in Sunday, and I've been unpacking and assembling things ever since. We bought funiture yesterday, which should be arriving in the next four hours. Everything is so great. Paul starts his job on Monday. I have yet to begin looking. Our anniversary was Tuesday, and I cooked my first meal here and we watched a movie. I've been incredibly busy putting things away and setting stuff up. We used our dishwasher for the first time last night! It was pathetically exciting for me. But when you've been doing dishes for the past 2.5 years, something as insignificant as a dishwasher is a major luxury. We've been adjusting well, I think. Plus it's nice to have family out here.

So that's what's been going on with me. I started the job hunt a little yesterday, but after the furniture is here and I can officially put everything in its place, I'll start looking more seriously. Right now I'm hungry, so I think I'll have some cereal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home